Sunday 4 September 2016

Paper Pal Arts PPA316; Retro Rubber Challenge #rrcb46

I needed to make a baby card, and wanted to use the Stampin' Up 'Zoo Babies' stamp set I recently acquired in a sale of retired items (I've only been making cards for a bit less than a year, but I assume being retired means that teh set is more than a year old?). When I saw the Retro Rubber challenge, with the key word 'Critter', it seemed like fate! I love the little monkey stamp, and saw the Paper Pal Arts sketch challenge as a chance to use it more than once.
The picture in my head took a while to resolve into a card I was satisfied with. I knew I wanted to emboss the monkey, but played around for ages (see the two different attempts below).

In the end, I decided on a pretty traditional, pure kind of version. I did use 'Soft Sky' as the only colour so it remains gender neutral - decided I couldn't really ask if my friends know the sex of the baby just so I could colour my card accordingly (and, of course, it's always good to avoid sexism)!



Made using Stampin' Up product:
Paper: Whisper White, Soft Sky
Stamp: Zoo Babies
Other: Silver embossing powder, Layering Circles Framelits, Elegant Dots Embossing folder, washi tape possibly but not definitely Stampin Up!



13 comments:

  1. Adorable! Those little monkeys always bring a smile to my face. The bits of bling are the perfect accents. Thanks for sharing at Pals Paper Arts this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the finished card with all the white space and subtle texturing. Zoo Babies was introduced in Stampin' Up! 2013 annual catalog so it definitely meets the retro requirement. Well done with the challenge combination. Thanks so much for including Retro Rubber in your stamping fun. Hope to see you in our gallery often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Zoo Babies stamp set, it's super adorable for baby cards.
    Your card is so sweet, this little monkeys just make me smile.
    Thank you for playing along with us at RETRO RUBBER, hope you come back to play again soon.
    Hugs,
    Maria Rodriguez.
    PS. When you are not sure about the age of your Stampin Up! stamps you can go to Splitcoaststampers and click on the Stampin Up! galleries, ALL of their stamp sets are there in alphabetical order so, if you know the name of your set, you can find it there with the date where it was issued. Another great place to find the age of your stamps is Pinterest, you can find cards made with those sets on the blogs of the people who used them and see the dates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great to know - very useful, thanks!

      Delete
  4. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Retro Rubber, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little monkeys are darling in any color combination! Thanks for using our sketch this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So adorable! I love seeing the development of your idea through seeing all the cards. The monkey is a treat - and definitely a critter! I do like the self-coloured stamping in the other cards though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are just the sweetest. That adorable monkey makes me giggle every time I see him ! Super cute....many thanks for making me smile and playing this week with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the super clean style! Cute critter too! Thanks so much for diung the RR challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. aw, gosh sweet little card, I really enjoyed the layout you chose. Wonderful job. What a great theme challenge they had for us. I enjoyed playing along too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent job with your CAS design and colors. Very sweet baby card! Thanks for playing along with us at Retro Rubber Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute card, love the monkey's. Thanks for playing along with Retro Rubber!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable! Your friend will love this card! Beautiful soft colors that make it a perfect baby card! Thanks for playing along with us at Retro Rubber!

    ReplyDelete